We were at Publix and his 33+ lbs were wearing on me (after a few days of only sitting on his "hip seat"). We were rounding a corner and there sat Frosty. Joshua did not notice Frosty, nor did he know anything about him. I grabbed Frosty & realized he sang the Frosty song. I buckled Joshua in the grocery cart & thanked God for this mini-break!
As we neared the check-out line, I noticed the tag on Frosty said $19.99!!! WHAT?!?!?! I've always been bad at estimating, but I was way off this time! I just knew he was about $6. I started trying to distract Joshua and set Frosty back on the shelf, but he wasn't getting fooled. I knew it was a lost cause to begin with, but I gave it a shot 😄.
And thus began the hate/love relationship with dear old Frosty. Below are some of the examples that Frosty has and continues to be shown love in our house 😍😍😍😍😍
In 4 months, we've probably replaced the batteries about 8x.
For the few times we've delayed replacing batteries, the song slows down and gets shorter. He's too young to realize and it happens over a "long" period of time (for a 2 yr old). Once we finally replace the batteries and he hears the normal version of the song, he gets SO EXCITED that I (almost) feel guilty for not replacing sooner, lol.
It took a couple of weeks for him to become obsessed with the show. But once he did, he would point to the TV all day long and say "FROSTY!" He wouldn't really sit & watch it, but it would provide a (total of) 30 minutes break off and on throughout the day (which is PRICELESS time after you become a parent!). I had a DVR recording of it & it accidentally got deleted. I had a mini panic attack and then remembered that I had bought it on blu-ray for the boys a while back. I found it and all was well in Joshua's world again.
My mom was looking for a copy for her car and I happened to find the last one @ Target. It was in the back, ready to get shipped back to their warehouse 😄
In the past couple of weeks, Joshua would actually sit on our bed and watch Frosty, so I bought a digital Frosty from Amazon, lol. I'm making it sound like all he does is sit and watch TV, but we all know he does NOT, lol. But as all Mama's can relate, 5 minutes here and there are like little gifts sent down from above. I bought this digital version primarily for Homework time. It is pure HE-double hockey sticks trying to get 2 boys to do homework, while a TV show is on in the same room. The TV would sometimes momentarily distract Joshua from climbing on the table, harassing the boys etc. They both need my help with homework & Joshua wants my attention too...so it's pure chaos. In fact, on very desperate I.NEED.MAMA.RIGHT.NOW days, Joshua (who would be sitting on my hip) will actually grab my face and turn it towards his...multiple times until I stop what I'm doing and give the boy some attention, lol.
Another funny event regarding Frosty is at times when Joshua has been sick, we will hear Frosty go off on the monitor @ random times after midnight. One night, I actually turned the monitor volume off, as I was struggling to sleep! The upside to this, is that he wasn't crying (due to being sick & waking up) and needing us to soothe him back to sleep.
Another upside, was that this got him to sleep-in! I wanna say Frosty was what pushed him from a 6:30/7:00 wake-time to a 9:00/9:30 wake-time. That's not to say, we wouldn't be awakened to a raspy voice at 6:30am screaming "FROSTY THE SNOWMAN WAS A JOLLY, HAPPY SOUL, WITH A CORN COB PIPE..." but it was nothing a pillow couldn't drown out 😄
The neighborhood kids have asked me multiple times "Doesn't Joshua realize it's not Christmas time anymore?" Lol. Most recently this weekend as we were coloring Frosty on the sidewalk.
Chunk has hidden the Frosty book, given away Frosty to my mom or hidden him at our house. I honestly don't know who was more excited about finding Frosty stuff... Joshua (because he MISSED him) or Mama (because she MISSED the break!). I can handle repetitive movies/music/toys with songs etc. It doesn't phase me a bit. In fact, that was another reason for the Amazon digital purchase...so Joshua could watch it in the bedroom and I wouldn't feel bad when Chunk would come home from work and sigh about Frosty being on again, lol. Even the boys would say "not Frosty again!" although they would sit and watch it too.
When we went to spend the night with my parents (I think this was when Lee & Karen & the kids were in town) and Jack ended up getting sick. I took Jack & Joshua home. When I realized that we left Frosty there, you can guess what happened next...FROSTY #2 arrived!!!!
In our car, for a few weeks Joshua became obsessed with "coloring" Frosty. It became pretty routine and he would flip out when it was time to go, as he would exclaim "cuhlah" FROSTY!" We (Mama, Jack, Jared, Dada...Katie Payne...anyone really, lol) would draw a Frosty and then he would scribble all over it. He looked so cute with his legs propped up & "cuhlahwing" FROSTY!
When reading Frosty to him, I started playing this game and Joshua quickly caught on and it's such a precious memory...when we read books to him, it really means that we point out pictures and name them or we ask him to find specific things. Well, after he has mastered basically everything in the book, we both get a little bored...so he starts pointing to the wrong thing. But what's so funny is he sees me watching him (because he KNOWS he's about to get tickled) and he will start speaking really s-l-o-w-l-y! As in, I ask him where Santa Clause is and he points to Frosty and says "San------ta----------------Cla-----------use!!!!" And them grins really big and I tickle him. I love this game and it is so funny watching him do this. Even when it's over, he'll start giggling as saying "FUNNNNY!!!"
I'm sure there are a ton more ways that Frosty has recieved LOTS of love in our house...but these were the ones that I did not want to forget 😄 Here's Joshua this morning with his (2) FROSTY'S in my mom's car.
This is when he was actually Frosty.
Then I remembered that my mom taught him to say "Cheese!" and he knows to smile! This changed my our Frosty snapshots!
In case it is not evident, in all of them pics he is exclaiming "CHEESE!!!!!"



















No comments:
Post a Comment