Anyway, Jack told me this afternoon that a boy walked back into his classroom (after using the restroom) with his shirt raised up and exposing his belly. Jack said "then all the kids started laughing, the boy fixed his shirt and said "Don't laugh at me! Don't laugh at me!' And then everybody started laughing and it was so funny."
When I heard that, my heart just sank. I got down on both knees and asked Jack how he would like it if I made fun of him in different situations. Of course he said he would not like it. I *think* I got my point across, but I guess only time will tell. I did, however, tell him to go to school tomorrow, find out "that boys'" name and apologize for laughing at him because it was not the right thing to do. While I agree with not intervening and letting kids figure things out for themselves, if my kids tell me about a humiliation story that they participated in, you best believe they are going to apologize to whomever it was that they humiliated.














No comments:
Post a Comment