Nonetheless, back to my point of this post. I was so shocked when I read that pedialyte had artificial flavors in it & other crap a sick kid doesn't need!
www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/01/31/homemade-pedialyte/
Artificial dyes are made from petroleum (Yep, I'm talking about what fuels our car folks!). Artificial food dyes cause hyperactivity in kids, have been linked to long-term cancer and a host of other problems. In fact, the UK requires a warning label for any product that contains artificial dyes.
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/03/13/real-food-tips-7-reasons-i-hate-artificial-food-dyes/
When Joshua woke-up with a fever at 3:30 this morning, I gave him some medicine (dang it, don't even want to look at those ingredients lol).
Since he was pretty warm, I thought I could win him over (& lower that temp) with a homemade push-pop.
It has a fascinating 1,349,788 different meanings. It is usually accompanied with some very determined finger pointing. This helps us decipher among the 1,349,788 meanings that he is currently using)
....back to what I was saying...
In between his "JUH!" demands, where he was pointing at the push-pop demanding for more (despite the fact that the spoon just left his mouth...you are NOT allowed to take breaks in between bites of food!), I was thinking about what he was eating. I put with 3 superfoods in these smoothies! Blueberries, chia seeds and kale! So instead of giving him pedialyte (crap!) popsicles, he got 3 superfoods with some fresh (pesticide-free!) fruit. And the boys (all FOUR of them) eat these like crack. Chunk grabs two for breakfast. And even more awesome, they can be packed in the boys lunches & they are defrosted and ready to eat as a dessert.
Side note: The link above has a homemade pedialyte recipe (3 ingredients: water, sugar and salt!) that a pediatrician provided for use in poorer countries where people can't just run into a CVS and grab a pedialyte.
Back to my aforementioned disclaimer. I haven't "gone off the deep end," but instead was finally given the "right key" to unlock all of this important information. I have been very naive all this time, never thinking the FDA would approve would over 80,000 chemicals without ever testing it's impact on human consumption. I mean, who in their right mind does that? A country that tries to get God out of it's government!
I had the organic and processed food crap thrown at me for years via family, friends, co-workers and social media. I honestly was just too overwhelmed with life to take on that gigantic task of research, understanding and eventually implemenentation.
I spend so much time in the kitchen nowadays, I wonder what I used to do with my time, lol. I know I was "busy" and felt overwhelmed, but it's interesting to see how priorities rearrange themselves.
Ha....that comment only took a second to look around and see that my anal-cleanliness (with all those harsh chemicals!) and gardening (thirsty plants!) have fallen to the wayside....but hey family health should have been placed ahead of those things a while ago, right? :)
Yawn. Is it bedtime yet? Has school been cancelled??? Can I roll over and sleep-in until noon??? Stupid blogging has eaten away my sleeping hours! Oh well, here's some sweet pics to make me smile before we get ready for school :)
Sweet smile after he was done with medicine, push-pop & water & ready for some sweet cuddle-time in the rocker at 4:00 this morning.
I miss our cuddle-times (he just says NIGHT-NIGHT now and isn't down for a 5 min rocking session anymore). But this morning, he reminded me of the "old days" by talking via sounds with me again....
Mama: "Eh!"
Joshua: "Eh!"
M: "Eh!"
J: "Eh!"
Then sometimes we mix it up with a little competition....
M: "Eh!"
J: "EH!"
M: "EHHH!"
J: "EHHHHHHH!"
M: "EHHHHHHHHH!"
J: "EHHHHHHHHHHH-AWWWWW!"
He LOVES to play with all of our toothbrushes (yummy!) and splash water. At least he passed up the toilet for this new "water spot!"
Last night Joshua had a little fever and was determined to go outside...so we took a mini-walk :)
His 3rd Popsicle in a row!
That expression is seen a lot these days...
"Food-check. Drink-check. Toy-check. What's the problem?"
I need to take a video of him walking backwards when I say or do anything that makes him think that I'm going to take away whatever he has in his hands. His eyes are locked on me and he literally starts stepping backwards, without looking anywhere else. He eventually bumps into something and then we both start laughing. Then he forgets why he was walking backwards in the first place ;)






















No comments:
Post a Comment