Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Mama, can I go where your footprints go?"

Yes, those are the exact words that came out of my 4 year olds mouth when I had to tell him that I didn't feel good and he needed to go into the living room. 

Without going into too many details, I will find out on Monday if this debilitating pain is from a urinary tract infection. I had one in February (e.coli!), but before that I can't recall having one. This, however, is nothing like I have ever felt before. What I would consider "minor annoyances" before, has turned into miserable, unbearable pain & discomfort this afternoon. But children always want to "help" and be with you a lot more when you're sick (God's punishment for Eve & the apple???). 

I was taking an oatmeal bath and Jared kept asking if he could get in the bath with me, if I needed anything etc. He has such a sweet, caring soul :) But I was still in great pain and playing 20 questions was the last thing I needed. I kindly explained why & that I needed him to let Mama be. As soon as he closes the door,  he pops it right back open and says "Mama, can I go where your footprints go?" 
I mean, who says that? Much less, what 4 yr old says that? It's so sweet & overwhelming at the same time. But my Mama heart (& body!) had to MAN-UP and let this sweet boy help his Mama. So I told him to come see me after he ate dinner. 

Jack beat him to it & he made himself at home...

He shared about his problems and desires for a new toy...ya know the typical concerns that a 6 yr old has. 

Shortly after, Jared pops in..."Hey! How do I get over there?" He was pointing to where Jack was sitting. He kept trying to "help" me no matter how many times I politely refused. He even poured ice cold water with a sincere "Here you go mama! It was too hot! Do you feel better now?" 

Then he all of the sudden had to go tee-tee....and so he asked "Mama, can I pee-pee in your bath?" Yes, he seriously asked that! I guess I should be thankful he asked before he peed! 

He left for about 10 minutes...then popped back in and said "Princess Peach.......were you calling me? Did you say "Where's that Mario? I sure do need him." 
And he seriously believes that I was calling him. If there's any doubt, he will innocently bully it out of you! 

Then he asks if he can give me am orange and explains why it is so healthy for me and will make me feel all better, Finally, after repeatedly refusing, I accepted that he could bring me an orange. That led to wanting to bring me an apple. After refusing a couple of times, I realized his sweet & genuine intent and agreed that "Yes! I did infact need an apple!" He then got a big smile on his face and said "OKAY! I'm going to bring you a lot of food!" And he did. SO SWEET! As it was really heavy for him.


Bad timing though. He left our bedroom door open, which led to Joshua quickly realizing "Mommy's here! And I can't have her???!!!" Chunk, unaware of Jared's intent to "fix & help Mama" gets onto them & tells Jared that he is not allowed any more bites, lol. 

Whew. These times are trying, but I wouldn't have them any other way....or at least that's what I tell myself :) J/k. Let's just say Chunk's personality trait of wanting to have fun while sick has begun to wear off on me. I used to be the easiest (ha, I laugh as I type that...thinking about the "easy" mini-me that I mentioned above) at least in my adulthood, as I just wanted to be left alone. 

Speaking of the aforementioned "Mini-Me." He informed me of how I needed to handle his next illness...

"When I'm sick, you just need to pull up a chair by my bed and just, do stuff, while I sleep." 

He was actually imitating me sowing with his hands. He said I could also work on my computer if I wanted to, but to just make sure I stayed right by him. That was his new "sick rule." 

Nonetheless, here's to hoping I'm pain free for Jack's (1st grade) and Jared's (4k) Meet the Teacher meeting tomorrow. My boys are just growing up too fast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment