My main resource of healthy food recipes and learning about processed foods is 100 Days of Real Food. The biggest thing I've learned is quite simple: Ingredients. What should be easy to pronounce and relatively short (a good rule of thumb is 5 ingredients or less), has now become a mixture of scientific terms! Pick up a loaf of bread or a box of graham crackers and see HOW MANY ingredients are in there and how many you can pronounce!
Another learning lesson for me was "wheat" products. I thought I was choosing a healthy option, but society uses "whole wheat" and "wheat" interchangeably when they are actually two very different things. Wheat is refined (i.e. crap!). We want the whole grain.
Here are some pictures where the Boys and I made Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes. They LOVED it! I, on the other hand, have to get better at not burning foods :) But the pancake that I was going to throw away, Joshua ended up devouring! Plus, I was able to freeze the left-overs and now the boys can pull out a healthy pancake vs (what my dad used to call) a "cardboard waffle." LOL :)














No comments:
Post a Comment