Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pirate Coins

I have been getting so frustrated constantly repeating myself over and over and over and over again every.single.day. 
"Jack, does your dinner plate belong on the table?"
"Jared, do your pajamas belong on the floor?"
"Jack, did you flush the toilet/turn off the light/wash your hands?"
Over and over and over. Day after day. These behaviors (or lack their of) do not warrant a time-out IMHO....but I needed something to get them to do it.....and then I remembered the reward system and how excited kids get over earning the simplest thing and being praised! Do I feel more motivated and incentivized to do things if I'm encouraged, praised and sometimes earn stuff? Heck yea! So I came up with Pirate Money. I bought the large checkers from Crackle Barrell and found a plastic "paint can" container from Michael's and some pirate foam stickers. The boys were so excited about decorating and earning their pirate money. I wanted a reward that I could give 5 or so "something's" a day, that over a week or so would result in a prize....I wanted to reward them for remembering to do something EACH time....because at their age, it's easier to be motivated with immediate, visual recognition. 
Since last night, Jack has earned 6 and Jared has earned 5. Once they earn all 23 pirate coins, then they can pick out a prize (dollar store items) from the pirate treasure chest. 
They are excited!!!! I told them the rewards will vary over time and we are just focusing on specific tasks that they need to work on. So they don't earn one every time they do the right thing (this was a tough one to grasp). I also explained that one may earn a pirate coin and the other may not. This happened at bedtime tonight. Poor Jared was so excited to go tee-tee and flush the toilet. However, my rule is that they have to remember to complete the entire task. If I have to remind them, then they won't earn it. Jared started crying and was on the verge of a temper tantrum. I almost lost it too, but the Holy Spirit must have taken over my mind and heart because I gently squatted down to his level and asked him what 3 things he is supposed to do when he goes to the bathroom. He answered correctly (flush/turn off light/wash hands). Then I asked if he should earn a pirate coin for not doing 2 of the 3 things. He said no. I also asked if he thought it would be fair if Jack earned a pirate coin if he didn't do the right thing. He said no. This made him realize that he didn't deserve a pirate coin, despite how bad he actually wanted one. 

Yay for Pirate Coins!!!! The boys put up their dinner plates without being asked. Jack got dressed and put his dirty clothes in the laundry room. They listened during the bedtime routine and I'm looking forward to next week & having them get dressed all by themselves. 



They have to explain why they earned their pirate coin before they put it in the bucket (I am surprised that they struggle with this). 



No comments:

Post a Comment