I have a problem that can be quite embarrassing at times. It seems to have progressively gotten worse as I get older and took a big ol' leap the moment I got pregnant with Jack. While I used to become extremely embarrassed when this problem presented itself (face turns bright red, confidence goes down a notch and would take a few positive situations to bring it back up), now having had kids AND "meeting"/reading about some incomprehensible tragedies on many of the blogs I follow, I have realized to let the small things be just that: SMALL. While focusing on enjoying, appreciating, cherishing, THANKING GOD for the BIG things: my husband, my kids, my parents, brother, in-laws, family, friends, co-workers etc. etc. etc. There are so many things we take for granted: our health, our children's health, our Savior, our life, prayer (aka: direct conversation with God!) etc. etc. etc. I'm human and make mistakes, but this is who I am striving to be. Instead of getting frustrated when one of the boys throws a big 'ol temper tantrum, I need to remember about the mom's who wish their child was still here to throw that temper tantrum. Or when I get in an argument with my husband, at least I have a husband, here, who loves our family to pieces. Or even on a lighter note, when I get frustrated at work, at least I have a job. I could go on and on and on, but I'll move on to the funnier/embarrassing part. But before I do, note: in the past, I would have turned bright red, confidence down etc. Today, I just ignored it. I had some "idiot" recordings popping in my head, but I finally dismissed all of those. In the future, I hope to poke fun at myself right-smack-dab when it happens! My problem is I have a set vocabulary instilled in my brain...nothing big or fancy, as communication is a weakness of mine. If a word is not consistently used, over time it gets "removed" or sometimes"partly removed." If someone mentions one of those words or if I rack my brain to remember it, it may not come back whole. I may subconsciously pull a switch-a-roo on a couple of letters. Today, my bosses-boss, the CFO of our company (roughly 600+ employees, i.e. one smart fella!), called to ask me a couple of questions. No biggie, we joke around and get along great. He called to ask about a cap report. I'm essentially the go-to cap girl b/c I've been doing it so long, but I don't run these reports. Quite often, I find errors in the reports, so I don't like using them for resources. When I have to, I get a little frazzled because people periodically expect me to know/answer questions off of them (side note for my dad: I did set up a calendar reminder this month to analyze the 10+ plus cap reports and have IT correct the problems...which FYI dad, it's not their fault, people ask specifically for one thing, IT creates a report per their request unbeknownst to the fact that it is pulling duplicate data or people may run them for the wrong reason). Ok back to my story, so I send him this report and he calls asking if the monthly totals are year-to-date or by "inception" date. I say "conception" date. A tiny, little unknown red flag goes off in my head, but I dismiss it. Then a couple of minutes later (probably to confirm that he heard what he thought he heard), he asked again. I answered it's the "conception" date. He responded with, "it's called inception date." I just ignored my gooberhead "switch-a-roo" mishap and casually responded with, "yes, it's pulling from the inception date." Now, as you can imagine, it's always embarrassing to say the wrong word, but for that wrong word to mean having intercourse to make a baby, is QUITE embarassing. But hey, I kept my cool, survived and have moved on. I just thought I would blog about it to remind myself of this fact one day! There are much more important things in life to focus on! Aside from my family/friends, I am blessed to be able to become a Children's Hospital Volunteer! If that cannot make you push aside the small things, then nothing will! I completed orientation tonight and next month I start working two nights a month! I can't wait. One night will be "Kid's Night Out" where I will volunteer in an activity room and the kids get to get out of their hospital rooms and play w/ us and other kids their age. The other will be "Parent's Night Out" where I will go to the hospital rooms and play/chat w/ kids while their parents get to leave the hospital knowing someone will be entertaining their children.

You are such a cute person! Glad you can laugh at yourself, I usually walk off to a private place and cry...lol!
ReplyDeleteYou are making me want to volunteer at our Children's hospital here. I've never thought about it until now, reading your blog - thanks!The Children's hospital in B'ham has horrible memories for us, I could never even drive past it. Glad you are bringing some happiness to it :)
Kelley
Good for you Jenn! -- for not getting embarrassed, but mostly for volunteering. If you ever hear of them needing photos for anything, I would love to volunteer for that. It's something I've wanted to do for a while.
ReplyDelete