We've been reading a daily devotion every night. I have enjoyed them and even noticed that Chunk hung around and listened to one (instead of heading downstairs after giving the boys a kiss).
On Thursday night, it was almost 8:15 before the boys got into bed (curses!!! to soccer practice!) & I told them it was too late & we would have to catch up the next day. Tears started rolling down Jared's face. I tried to give him the he's going to be tired speech, but it didn't work....so I grabbed the book and told him to come to Jack's room to read the book.
"What? We're going to read it mom?!?!"
"Yes buddy...when you pull out the waterworks because Mom won't read you a 3 minute Jesus story...YOU WIN!!!"
That covers everyone loving it except Jack....my sweet boy...who I see out the corner of my eye stretching out his arm to reach some toy.ANY.toy to hold/play with while I read a book. But low and behold, God showed me that he does listen after all...
Last night, Jack asked for orange juice after dinner time. 99% of the time, we only allow milk or water...but it was a laid-back night and just Josh, Jack and I, so I said yes.
Side note: It's times like these that make me feel so guilty about being strict....because for a Mom to tell her son "yes" to orange juice on a weeknight after 6pm and to have him act like he just woke up on Christmas morning, is crazy! Lol.
Anyway, he brings me a new 1/2 gallon of OJ and asks me to open it. At this moment, I saw the future. I knew there would be a spill...somewhere, somehow...but remember that "Christmas-like joy" I mentioned above...he was excited & proud to pour his own OJ. So I gave-in and told him to pour slowly and to be careful not to spill.
Well, he filled it 90% full, BUT he did not spill it :) About 10 minutes later, I asked him to put it in the fridge and to head upstairs to bed. And voila! Mama's prediction came true. I think he drank about 2 sips, lol....which means that entire glass didn't just knock over (remember CHRISTMAS-joy excitement); it literally flew out of his hand...
Imagine a husband saying something he shouldn't (hmmm! wonder why this example is the first to come to mind!!) and then the wife throwing a full glass of water onto his face. Yes, that's how the OJ managed to get all over book bags, homework, chairs, carpet and Jack, lol. The poor guy didn't have fear (yay for controlling the yelling!) but felt bad. He just stared down at the mess and said "Mama, I'll clean it all up."
...well that's a kind gesture and all sweet son, but I kind of lose faith when you grabbed a single paper towel and sling the OJ (as 1/16th of the OJ immediately absorbed into the single sheet of paper towel). So I thanked him for helping and told him to just go get in the shower and to make it super quick.
There was some irritation in my voice (naturally, right?) but no yelling or anger. Anyway, I walk past the shower and he says "MAMA! I'm happy." And me (maybe a tad more annoyed thinking he already forgot about the mess he made and now he wants to talk about his upcoming birthday)...but I was wrong. It was about something we learned in the Jesus Calling book...ya know...when Jesus wants to put you in your place...he really PUTS.YOU.IN.YOUR.PLACE ---via an (almost) 7 yr old!
"Why are you happy Jack?"
"Because Mama! In the Jesus Calling book Jesus said to be happy when you make mistakes! And I'm happy!!!"
"Oh yeah, Jack I forgot about that...so remind me please...why does Jesus want us to be happy when we make mistakes?"
"Because it brings you closer to Him and He will teach you how to learn from your mistakes."
"Ahhhh...what did He teach you about your mistake?"
<at this point, he opened the shower door and started talking very seriously and pointing that finger and shaking it with emphasis, as he explained what He taught him>
"MAMA! I LEARNED THAT IF YOU HAVE A CUP OF ORANGE JUICE OR A CUP OF MILK OR WATER OR EVEN A BOWL OF CEREAL AND YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING A BATTLE GAME ON THE IPAD, DO NOT RUN!!!!!! Because if you run, you might spill that drink or bowl of cereal! Oh yea and don't run if there is glass either!!!!!"
This was a fun discussion with the boys. I said, "I don't know about y'all but when I make a mistake...I'm not happy about it. I'm usually disappointed in myself and that can sometimes lead to anger or even temptation to hide it. It's a struggle...but the last thing I would ever think to feel is happiness." They agreed and shared how they feel during mistakes. Then we talked about how God can heal those feelings and teach us how to learn from those mistakes.
Thank you Jesus for teaching me not to lose my anger when my boys make a mistake. How sad it must already feel to make the mistake, and then to have your parent, the one you look up to, get upset. I'm thankful to Him that that doesn't happen anymore. Jack's first reaction wasn't fear or shame about my reaction, but instead he was able to process the mistake and then owned it & offered to "clean" it up :)
















No comments:
Post a Comment